Asking questions will help you:
- Understand what is happening and feel more confident
- Prevent mistakes and reduce confusion
- Know what to do to get well and stay healthy
- Get the safest care
Tips for Asking Questions
- Think about your questions before your appointments and write them down so you don’t forget something important during the appointment.
- Take notes during your appointments and write down the answers to your questions.
- Tell your doctor or nurse if you dont understand something and ask them to explain.
- If you receive printed information or instructions that are confusing, ask your healthcare provider to explain them.
- Take a buddy with you to help you remember important instructions and information.
How to Talk to a Doctor – and Safeguard Your Health
Helpful article from the February 2012 edition of Be Well E-newsletter, a publication of Cleveland Clinic.
Questions to Ask
Here are some sample questions to ask your doctor and healthcare team: